Thursday, October 9, 2008

The WHO-DF

Herewith, Kylie's email:

It certainly is an exciting proposition, although I am so frightened of being naively optimistic like I was about the UDM in 1999. I think for me one of the many interesting questions would be if a “UDF” was formed what would the ANC do in terms of the electoral system. We have always known that a pure First-Past-the-Post electoral system would obliterate the opposition, so would the ANC now with a real threat to its power finally change the electoral system? Rather than a pure FPTP system I like the idea of a multi-member constituency system which I think combines the benefits of representivity with access and limits the power of party bosses.

Another question is, is this a split in the ANC or a splinter of the ANC? Uncle Thabo did get 40% of the vote at Polokwane – could Lekota and team attract 20 – 30% of the national vote?

My other question about the “UDF” would be who would be its core constituency and what would its political philosophy be? If Lekota’s convention happens in Cape Town or he has a consultative forum here – I will definitely be heading off there. Keen to join me?

By the way – I am now officially unemployed and happily working away at my masters dissertation. Too quickly I am becoming very used to being able to work according to my own schedule.

2 comments:

freeboot said...

This is an important discussion. I echo the remarks about the UDM and the (very important) reminder that our enthusiasm should be prefaced by a consideration of what the new entity stands for.

freeboot said...

Kylie Adds (And I ms-quote):

I am also intrigued to see that the likelihood of a mass walkout of the Eastern Cape ANC leadership is growing stronger. It gets more Machiavellian by the hour. However, I feel the need to paraphrase the great liberal historian de Kiewiet, "South Africa advances through a series of economic miracles and political catastrophes"